As we continue exploring creativity this month, I’m super excited to introduce you to Michelle Kusel – a fellow leadership educator, creative professional, and dear friend.
I worked with Michelle when I taught at the University of Illinois and have loved watching her journey as she launched Fixin It Up where she created unique handmade cards that are now sold across the greater Chicago area! As a result, Michelle’s story shows us how to apply your creative talent and fuel it with your passion to design something amazing – whatever your dream is!
In this Millennial Spotlight, Michelle shares…
- At the end of it all, creativity is about how you think (not just what you do).
- Our conversations can spark new ideas that ignite your passions.
- Due to this, you need to give yourself permission to be authentic in your creative process.
- Creatives need to encourage a willingness to fail.
- In order to access your creativity to the fullest, you need to be present.
- As a result, Millennials can reconnect with who they want to be to truly express themselves.
What Fuels Michelle’s Creativity:
- Do Over: Rescue Monday, Reinvent Your Work, and Never Get Stuck by Jon Acuff
- Failing Forward: Turing Mistakes into Stepping Stones for Success by John C. Maxwell
- You are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero
- TED Talk: How to Build Your Creative Confidence by David Kelley
More About Michelle
After working professionally in corporate America, Michelle went back to school and got her graduate degree in Higher Education from Loyola University Chicago and where she is now in her Ph.D. program.
She has worked within student leadership development, championing experiential learning in and outside the classroom. As a life-long learner and educator, Michelle loves teaching, writing, and connecting with passionate people.
Michelle began Fixin It Up as a hobby and a way to spend time with her sister. It has since grown into a small, local business (and obsession!).
Michelle creates unique handmade cards for holidays, special occasions, and those days you just want to tell someone you care. When she is not studying for her Ph.D. or designing new cards, Michelle enjoys hanging out with my tiny human and partner, and all things Disney.
Nominate a Changemaker
Do you know a Millennial leader who is changing the world (or has BIG plans to)? I’d love to connect with them and feature their story! Click below to complete the short nomination form.
Be the Revolution,