Greetings from Central America!
Sitting here, watching the tropical rain fall softly on the beach outside my window, something in me calms. Life seems to slow down when you get away. Time stretches out and the days seem almost endless like watching the horizon disappear over the coastline.
That’s one of the reasons I need to get away. To unplug. To decompress. So I can exhale.
My soul and body crave the release that a true vacation creates.
We’ve only been in Belize for a week and it already feels like a month has passed…
Here, we find space and unearth passion for new ideas and dreams that seem locked up in our urgent and task-oriented environments back home. The laundry can wait. Someone else makes me dinner most nights. And I have no idea how many unread emails I have…
There are times in life when it’s necessary to unplug from it all in order to reset your life. You see, we all run with metaphorical batteries that are not infinite. But unlike our devices, as humans, we have to unplug – not plug in – to recharge.
How do you unplug?
My favorite ways to unplug:
- Go for a walk or run to end your day instead of watching TV or web surfing
- Read a book somewhere beautiful and relaxing
- Deeply, extending inhales to 5, then 10 seconds, and exhaling to match.
- Cook your dinner and enjoy it mindfully instead of eating out in a busy restaurant or multi-tasking while eating
- Turn off all of your electronic devices for a set period of time (I recommend at least 4 hours…or 24 if you can!)
- Travel somewhere new and experience the culture firsthand
- Grab your favorite beverage and watch the sunrise or sunset
Whether you’re able to physically get away to unplug or take a mini-break to reset your life, I encourage you to explore what this time has to offer your life. Notice what releases, what settles. Notice what changes and what you’re now able to access as a result.
This type of self-exploration is powerful and allows you to reset your priorities while you gain greater focus and energy. Try it. I promise you’ll thank you!
PS) Need a vicarious vacation? Then come along and check out our travel photos on Instagram to experience a taste of Belize!
Be the Revolution,